Due to its establishment year of 1894, Timaru Golf Club can claim to be the oldest golf club in New Zealand with Manawatu Golf Club starting in 1895. Though the club began life in Cain’s Paddock they moved to Highfield in 1904, with permanent land purchased in 1912. The course was on the move again in June 1957, when the club purchased 94 acres near the Levels Airport due to consistent deterioration of the old Highfield course. The new course and clubrooms opened the 10th October 1959.
Visitors are most welcome to the Club as are those considering joining as a member. The course has a practice area, club house with catering facilities available when members are playing and with the new club shop and lessons with Willie now available, its work the trip being just 1km off SH1 between Timaru and Temuka . Green fees are very reasonable and begin at $50 for non-affiliated members with $30 the cost per round for affiliated. The Timaru Golf Course is an 18 hole, 6096m, par 72 course with sand bunkers, water hazards and free draining gravels enabling play all year round. The course is level easy walking and easily accessible with cart and club hire available on request. With events, competitions and great hospitality to be enjoyed throughout the year, Timaru Golf Club should definitely become a stop the next time you are travelling through Canterbury.